University of British Columbia

The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the 40 best universities in the world. UBC offers a range of undergraduate courses and programs in Forest Resources ManagementForest Sciences, and Forest Operations.

International Students

Immigration Documentation

1. Passport

If your passport will expire while you're in Canada, all of your immigration documents, your MSP coverage and Social Insurance Number (SIN) will normally expire at the same time. In most cases, you can only apply to extend them after you obtain a new passport. Passport applications can take up to three months, so apply for a new passport as soon as possible to avoid interrupting your studies. Learn more.  

2. Study Permit

A valid study permit authorizes you to remain in Canada while you study. If you are an international student, you require a valid study permit to study in Canada. The only exception: if you are accepted in a program that is less than six months (e.g. one term exchange students) and you will complete the program by the end of your original stay in Canada, you do not need a study permit. Learn more

3. Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is used only for entry into Canada. Only citizens of certain countries require a TRV. It is recommended that you maintain a valid TRV for the duration of your studies, but it is not mandatory while you are inside Canada.  Learn more

4. Documentation for your family

If you're bringing your family to Canada with you, make sure they have the immigration documentation they need. Learn more.

How to submit online MyCIC applications

You can submit many Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) applications online. If you are new to the online application process, start with our general tips for UBC students in Canada.


Application Process

Apply first through OSU GO

Visiting students can take UBC courses that transfer to a degree program at their home institution. Watch USB's “How to Apply” video here.


  • You meet the English language requirement
  • You're in good academic standing
  • You are enrolled in a bachelor degree program at a recognized institution
  • You can provide a Letter of Permission (see below)
When can I apply?

Courses start Deadline
May through August March 15
September July 15
January November 15
How to Apply

For courses starting in January 2016

  1. Apply through the Access Studies application.
  2. When asked why you are applying to Non-Degree Studies, identify yourself as a visiting student.
  3. Submit your application. We will email you a confirmation of your application and further instructions in 2 - 5 business days.

For courses starting May or September 2016

  1. Create or login to your account at you.ubc.ca
  2. Apply to Undergraduate Degree Programs (not Non-Degree Studies)
  3. On the Program Selection page, select the Visiting Students box
  4. Submit your application
  5. We will email you with a confirmation of your application and your next steps in 2-5 business days
Letters of Permission

Visiting students are required to provide a Letter of Permission issued by their home institution. All Letters of Permission should:

  • Be typed on official university letterhead or written on an appropriate university form
  • Include a list of all courses that the you wish to take
  • Include the academic session you are applying to (i.e. 2014-2015 Winter or 2014 Summer)
  • Show your current bachelor program and academic standing

The issuing office can email the Letter of Permission to admissions.inquiry@ubc.ca in PDF format. Your Letter of Permission is only valid for one session. You will need to submit a new Letter for any subsequent sessions in which you register for courses.

What else do I need to know?

  • Please note! Depending on the time of year, it may take your school several weeks to produce your official transcript and Letter of Permission, so plan ahead
  • Admission as a Visiting student does not guarantee entrance to the courses requested or subsequent admission to a degree program at UBC
  • Submit all required documents to Undergraduate Admissions, Attention: Non-Degree Studies